I don't get two things about life:

 

a) There is no manual.

I understand that if humans were simple turing machines, fun ( the fun of life ) would have an entirely different definition ( GLaDOS ).  But seriously, the method by which our brain performs processes is generally unknown to us.  Not giving a manual describing self-operation, or even self-knowledge, to a fairly intelligent being with the added bonus of emotion and consciousness just seems dangerous.

 

b) I am somehow conscious enough to ask this question.

Not in the sense that I am conscious enough because I simply didn't drink enough today.  In all of humanity, considering all of the stupid things we have done and thought, and all of the smart things we have done and thought, it is still very unobvious what we can and can't do.  A lot of the definitions for what we can't do are defined by humans, which mostly involve protection and self-preservation.  So what happens when I think?  Is someone listening?  Is my brain a little, self-contained universe?  Should I wear a tin-foil hat?  Did I ( a persona ) ask this question, or am I enabled to do so by virtue of my DNA code?  If I didn't have this code, would I still be able to ask this question, or at least be able to derive this question?  These are desperately important questions that need to be answered.