Compiled overview of the 80 ton Zeus 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



The Zeus is the Lyran Commonwealth's premier assault 'Mech. On the drawing board just after the start of the war with the Draconis Combine, two Zeus prototypes were lumbering across testing grounds just three short years later. The arrival of a House Kurita attack force around the same time provided the Zeus with the best possible field test; the prototypes helped repel the Kurita assault on Hesperus II and saved the vital BattleMech factories. After the battle, the Zeus pilots reported that the PPC their 'Mechs carried in the left arm was erratic and unreliable. Further research revealed that the PPC's insufficient shielding created wild magnetic interactions between it and the 'Mech's fusion engine. The designers decided to drop the PPC in favor of the simpler Defiance autocannon to ensure the 'Mech's quick delivery to the front.

The Zeus carries a modified version of the Coventry Starfire LRM-15 Missle Rack, an excellent system used in several other 'Mech designs. The Zeus, however, stretched the Star Fire's tolerances to the limits. Designers omitted the Zeus's right hand, replacing it with the Star Fire's missile tubes mounted around a large central core. The central core serves as a ram for punching. Set back and away from the impact point, the missiles are sheltered beneath the armor of the forearm. this arrangement makes for a complicated missile-loading system, however, and is prone to breakdown if not serviced regularly. Another drawback, the Zeus can only carry eight missile reloads. More than once, a Zeus pilot has pressed the trigger only to hear nothing but silence.

The Thunderbolt A5M Large Laser, tucked comfortably beneath the 'Mech's left arm, is another adaptation. Lacking the room for a standard large laser, the Zeus's designers created a more compact version. The engineers at Hesperus II are among the few who have the necessary knowledge to use fiber optics, and thusly managed to dispense with the bulky barrel common to other large lasers.

Though intended as a long-range fighter, the Zeus has no problem closing and grappling with an enemy. Excellent armor protection, especially around the chest and legs, enables the 'Mech to withstand all but the heaviest abuse. The Zeus's strong legs allow it to make devastating kicking attacks, while the left arm packs quite a bit of punching power.

The Zeus first appeared in significant numbers during the recapture of the planet Sakhalin, when elements of the Fifteenth Lyran Guard attacked the Draconis Combine's 32nd Dieron Regulars. Composed mostly of Zeus 'Mechs and a few Commandos, the Lyran force captured a high ridge overlooking two large forests and a grassy plain beyond. The Dieron Regulars, an even mix of BattleMasters and Dragons, attempted to storm the ridge but fell back under concentrated LRM, laser and autocannon fire. The Combine troops resigned themselves to spending the night on the plain, while the Lyran Guards waited it out on the ridge.

Heavy rains began soon after nightfall, which the Lyran Guards used to their advantage. Under cover of darkness, the Lyran forces silently moved down from the ridge and spaced their 'Mechs evenly across the narrow gap between the two forests. At sunrise the Dieron Regulars charged the distant row of 'Mechs, but the weight of their lumbering BattleMasters and Dragons turned the grassland into a sea of mud that slowed the Kurita 'Mechs in the rear and forced the Regulars to spread out.

When the enemy had advanced far enough into the gap between the forests, the Lyran commander ordered the line of Zeuses to open fire. The foremost of the enemy's 'Mechs could fire back, but those in the rear could not. Some of the BattleMasters and Dragons tripped and fell, creating further confusion and even panic among the Regulars. The Lyran Commandos, which had been hiding in the woods, opened fire with their SRMs and completed the rout of the Kurita 'Mechs. The 32nd Dieron Regulars lost eight BattleMasters and five Dragons, while the Fifteenth Lyran Guards lost only one Zeus and three Commandos.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.