First published in the Weekly Shounen Jump from 1983 (issue 31-) to 1985 (-issue 39), Wingman was the first manga by famous mangaka Masukazu Katsura (I''S, Video Girl Ai, DNA^2, Zetman) and was an instant hit with the readers, ensuring the fame und success of it's author right from the start. It combined cool, flashy super hero action with romance and cute girls. Due to it's popularity, it was also soon turned into an anime, Dream Warrior Wingman, which ran 47 episodes.

The story revolves around Kenta, a fan of sentai series (Ultraman, Masked Rider, Power Rangers, etc), who also likes to cosplay as his own character Wingman in school, delivering justice, when needed. So he is a strange individual indeed. One day, he finds Aoi, a mysterious young girl from the dimension of Powdream, where dreams can take shape. She carries with her a strange note-pad which makes everything written in it come true. So Kenta sees and takes the chance to transform into Wingman for real. And he needs the super-powers he now received, because the Dictator Rimel, who controls Powdream wants to get the note-pad back and Aoi out of his way, and so he sends waves and waves of goons after her, which Kenta now has to fight. And to help Kenta, he also uses the pad to transform two of his female friends and Aoi into the Wing-girls, who fight at his side.

The manga wouldn't be a true Katsura, if it didn't have cute girls and romantic misfortunes: Kenta is in love with his classmate Miku, but now also becomes interested in Aoi. Both girls love him, too, so hilarity ensues.