The statement was long a figure of speech in the indie rock world. Your ex would grow up, your garbage disposal would get fixed, your band would get signed "when the Pixies get back together". In other words, when hell freezes over. Frank Black (Black Francis, Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV) was quoted: The Pixies might reunite "if I were penniless or a family member needed a kidney transplant," (2003, Rolling Stone). The odds of the Pixies getting back together were seen as marginally better than the odds of Lennon and Harrison rising from the dead to play Monkees covers on tour with their (arguably) living bandmates.

As of late 2004, the band that earned the respect of virtually every rock musician in the world but which had through the nineties managed to retain "sub-pop" status is touring. In fact, they've toured much of the United States and Europe, and are (if the example is helpful) selling out D.A.R Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C. three nights straight this December.

There's some sketchy talk of a new album. The potential release of a new Pixies album carries many considerable implications, not the least of which would be the simultaneous orgasmic death of thousands of balding, potbellied, shirts-still-too-small early-thirtysomething indie rockers worldwide. The rest of us would probably just be very pleased.