How to Write and be Read

Why People Read

Writing is indistinguishable from thinking. This means that others will read what you write if you have something interesting to say. Therefore, becoming a well-established writer has much to do with becoming an educated individual. I do not mean educated in the school sense, but in the sense of having knowledge bourne through experience.

If an individual is lacking in experience, they may compensate through the use of their imagination. All ideas are bourne through imagination. These too wings complement and enhance each other. Experience feeds imagination. Imagination directs experience.

The rest of writing consists of communicating clearly. It is important to accurately portray one's thoughts, and it is on this account that measures of time must be considered. When readers have large amounts of time to read, the writing can be rich and deep and complex in form. When readers have, quite literally, seconds to evaluate a text, that text must be crisp and clean and defined.

There will be no more novels of yester-year, no more Leo Tolstoy chapters. Information must be both dense and easily accessible, or else it will be ignored.

The last small piece of the puzzle, frankly, is luck. Someone must stumble upon your printed page.

Practical Solutions


Improving Experience



  • Cut yourself off from the Internet. Goal: 73 Hours without connection. Good Luck!

  • Take a class in something you are inexperienced about. Danger! If you don't get an 'A', you have to take it again!

  • Travel Somewhere. Minimum distance: 200 Miles Stay there for a week/month.
  • Improving Imagination



  • Draw. Improve until you can accurately portray the Mona Lisa in at least one medium.

  • Buy a random book. As you read, ask 2 questions in the margins of every page.

  • Force yourself to admit at least one mistake a day. You must admit one error in public at least once a week.

  • *Note: It is not a 'Mistake' if you have always felt bad about it. Also, mistakes you have already made do not count. ;)