Glasgow has its own underground rail network, with two lines and 15 stations serving the centre, west and south of the city. The trains are tiny, cute, and orange. Don't tell Glaswegians that it's just like a miniature London Underground because by and large they don't like London.

Singapore has the MRT which like most subways has underground and outdoor lengths of track. It is very clean, with downtown stations equipped with the newest in anti-suicide automatic sliding glass doors to prevent "person(s) at track level". It is also true that Lee Kwan Yew, Sinkers' "benevolent dictator", banned chewing gum from the city-state after hoodlums and lepakers discovered that jamming a wad between the doors shut down the entire system.

Kuala Lumpur began building the STAR LRT in 1993. One line runs to Putrajaya, the city's planned administrative hub; another goes to the site of the 1998 Commonwealth Games. I think there are three lines finished by now. As I was moving away from Kuala Lumpur the British engineering firm Taylor-Woodrow were trying to dig the only two sub-surface stations in the system but the tropical soil (already extensively mined for tin and full of caves and sinkholes) wasn't cooperating and their tunnels kept collapsing. The legoland-ish trains are spiffy, though.

Toronto's "Rocket" and the New York subway are trench-built subways, while the Glasgow and London Undergrounds were tunnelled, sometimes hundreds of feet below the street. Trench-built tunnels run mainly just below street level and are much safer. Tunnelled subways give one the feeling of travelling in the bowels of an entity with a sentience of its own, and are therefore, without question, far superior.