The DEA (Drug Enforement Administration) was established on July 1, 1973 when president Richard Nixon and Congress agreed to Reorganization Plan No. 2. This plan merged all of the existing federal anti-drug agencies - the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, the Office of Drug Abuse Law Enforcement, and the Office of National Narcotics Intelligence - into one unified department, the DEA. This new administration was now part of the Department of Justice. The DEA was created to simplify the investigation on illegal drug use, and fight against drug trafficking. It effectively unified drug investigations, created a single federally run drug intelligence database, and established liaison between anti-drug agents nationally, at the state level, and internationally.

The mission of the DEA is to enforce the stupid and outdated laws on controlled substances (violating civil rights in the process), and to apprehend people who are involved in the manufacture, growing, or distribution of illegal substances within the United States. The DEA also investigates and prepares for the prosecution of major violators of the laws concerning illegal substances who operate nationally and internationally.