Artist Aphex Twin
Label R&S Records
Year 1992
Rating ★★★★☆
Summary Beautiful ambient techno.

Considering Aphex Twin's reputation for composing pieces of music that are inspirational to other musicians, but that are sometimes so unorthodox as to barely be recognisable as music, this early album of his is surprisingly accessible, similar in style to B12's Electro-Soma and FUSE's Dimension Intrusion. He combines drum machines, smooth basslines, ethereal pads and melodies played out on simple beeps to create a warm, beautiful soundscape.

This album has its minor flaws. The abrasive Green Calx jolts the listener from her relaxed state brought on by the otherwise peaceful soundscape. Personally, I think that Analogue Bubblebath 1 would have been a much more appropriate track to include in its place. The mixes are also let down by their amateur, bass heavy production.

Despite these setbacks, this album contains some rare gems of shimmering beauty. While Green Calx is jarring, and Schottkey 7th Path and Hedphelym are downright scary, nothing quite matches the imaginative yet simple beauty of tranquil classics like Ageispolis, Pulsewidth, or Delphium. These tracks are in a class of their own, and easily make the album worth buying.