So you've got yourself a nice-looking katana and you feel like strutting around with it. Or maybe you're doing a samurai costume for Halloween or some other reason (cosplay!). Perhaps you just want to scare some people as you walk down the street (just a note that I believe wearing a katana is illegal in most states).

Here's how the blade should be worn at the hip, so you can give off the impression that you know what you're doing. It's not very hard really, only two basic things to remember.

1. Tuck the katana into your belt on the left hand side. This was done because everything in kendo and iaido is taught starting with a right hand drawing out of the weapon, and it is easier to draw a blade from the left hand side with the right hand (think about it for a moment, it makes sense).

Interesting anecdote: In the olden days of yore back when people still wore katana as they walked around, people would always pass each other on the right. Since the swords were tucked into the left, passing on the right gave people more time to react if someone decided that this was a situation that only sharp steel could solve. Passing someone on the left back then could have been interpreted as challenging someone to a fight.

2. Make sure the edge is facing up. This allows a swordsman to go into three cuts when he draws the blade, and drawing is smoother as opposed to when the edge is facing downards.

Additional Note: Another reason the katana is tucked with the edge facing up is so that it would not be worn down. The razor-sharp edge would constantly be rubbing against the scabbard if it was facing downwards. Thanks, Neuromantic.

And there you go.