Wandering jew is also a colloquial name for one of three species of plants in the spiderwort family. Two of them (Tradesecantia albiflora and Tradesecantia fluminensis) have long green leaves with purple flowers, while the third (Zebrina pendula) has silvery leaves. They grow well in medium light, and in strong light will develop attractive purplish tinged leaves with a striped upper surface. They are commonly grown indoors in hanging pots, at least here in Canada; their trailing habits are presumably the reason they are called Wandering Jew. These plants are native to South America, and thus in warmer areas - for example Florida - can grow outdoors, where they are invading flood plain habitats and choking out native plants.

These are relatively easy plants to grow. It's best if you keep the soil evenly moist, for if you forget to water them, like I often do, the stems near the soil line may shrivel, and though the tip of the branch will appear normal for some time, eventually it will dry up and fall off. The plant grows well from cuttings, so the best solution if you have this problem is to cut off the still-growing tip and stick it in a glass of water. Within a few weeks it will develop roots, at which time you can plant the cutting again. Pinching off growing tips will encourage the plant to develop side-shoots and thus look fuller, but this is more a long trailing plant than a big bushy one.