(Probability:)
A measurable set of points in the measure space of the probability measure.

What this means, in plain English (as opposed to math gibberish) is a set of possible outcomes to which we can assign a probability. For various unpleasant technical reasons we cannot assign probabilities to all sets of outcomes. But we can assign a probability to any set of outcomes which can be described "naturally".

Since events are sets, they're traditionally written inside squiggly brackets.

Examples:

  • If our probability space is the roll of a fair 6-sided die, then {1 is rolled} and {an even number is rolled} are both events.
  • If our probability space is an infinite series of coin tosses, these are all events (note that each event is a subset of the preceding event):
    • {Infinitely many tosses come up heads}.
    • {There exists an N for which the proportion of heads out of the first n tosses is between 0.4 and 0.6 for all n>=N}.
    • {The proportion of heads out of the first n tosses tends to 0.5 as n tends to infinity}.
  • If our probability space is tomorrow's weather, then {it will rain tomorrow} is an event, but {it will be sunny the day after tomorrow} is not an event (knowing tomorrow's weather does not determine the following day's weather exactly!).