"What?!"

Hugh sighed at his colleague's doubting face. "Yes, the toaster. This modified bread caramelizer will create a small, temporary anti-gravity field." Hugh picked it up and held it closer to his friend.

"Holdink it closer will not help," Sasha said, rolling his eyes, "I will not think you any less insane. 'Ave you bean takink your medication?"

"Alexander..."

"You call me Sasha!"

"All right, Sasha, I know it sounds crazy, but I'm telling you, it's the unique heating coils of the toaster that is the key. And it's the toaster leavings that..."

"Oh I am leavink!" Sasha said. He turned to depart the laboratory.

"I think waaaay outside the box," Hugh said, "you've been working with me for six months, you should know that by now. And when has it failed me?"

Sasha hung his head, moaned, then slowly turned back around. "Your supposed Everlastink Thermal Heat Provider that you had made from an old electric blanket almost burned down the buildink."

"Besides that," Hugh said as he looked inside the toaster's bread slots. He sniffed it for some reason.

"All right, so you actually converted a VCR into a Future Show Recorder. But it still only seems to find Japanese game shows. Really, really weird ones."

"That one with the scorpions and the buttered ferrets, that was awesome!" Hugh said as he put the toaster back on the table. "Or, uh, will be awesome." He plugged it in to the wall socket. Then he plugged a USB cable into the toaster, and then into his nearby laptop computer.

"I am frightened," Sasha said. He gulped.

"Don't be!" Hugh smiled as he punched a few keys. "You're about to witness hist-!"

A bright flash of electricity stunned and almost knocked them both over. An acrid scent of ozone assaulted their noses. "What did you do??!" Sasha yelled. That's when they both noticed a pen start floating off of the table.

"I did it!" Hugh said. He gasped, then began to laugh. "I did it!"

Then both of them began to lift off of the ground. Suddenly everything in the room that was not attached to the floor began floating toward the ceiling. Hugh's smile faded when he noticed, out the window, everything outside not bolted down began floating up toward the sky. Cars, trash, sticks, leaves, even people began ascending to the clouds above.

"I'd say you did it all right!" Sasha exclaimed. "You 'ave destroyed all gravity!"

"Well, shit," Hugh said as a confused little dog floated past the window.

For SciFiQuest 3008.