Matthew is a band that definitely does not receive the credit that it is due, but they are slowly shifting from the agressive Chicago underground scene to the national one. Their first full-length album, Everybody Down, was catapulted into local stardom by the radio-friendly single of the same name.

To write a full but succinct biography of the band, the beggining must be told, and the band "began" when Brian McSweeney and friend Matt Sumpter united their musical talent in their native Huntington, West Virginia. The friendship survived past their teens, as good friendships should, and both McSweeney and Sumpter found themselves in Chicago looking for a bandmate. They found him in James Scott.

In mid-1998, vocalist/guitarist Brian McSweeney, bassist James Scott, and drummer Matt Sumpter were wandering around Chicago clubs as the pre-Matthew band Lackluster. Brian then decided, as many singer/songwriters do, to go off to "pursue other projects". After a year of writing and pondering, Brian decided to go back to Chicago and meet up with his former Lackluster band mates and get it together. Thus, in 1999 (with the addition of guitarist Jason Stipe), Matthew left the womb of creation and re-entered the Chicago club scene.

The band then drove around the mid-west, touring like a true sans-album, dedicated group. They achieved moderate success but still had to conquer the world of record labels(and airwaves). Finally, amidst the rain and wind of a Chicago April, Matthew signed their album to the well known Rykodisc(The Flaming Lips, They Might be Giants, etc...). As soon as the album hit the streets of Chicago the city embraced the band's first single, "Everybody Down", and welcomed its radio network.

Now, almost a year after their first album, the band tours and stands strong even though bassist James Scott has unfortunately left the band, in search of... something, and was replaced by Tennessee native Adrian Walther.


"Everybody Down" 2002/Rykodisc

1. Everybody Down (McSweeney/Scott/Sumpter) - 3:36
2. Open Wide (McSweeney/Sumpter) - 3:45
3. In Your Car (McSweeney/Sipe) - 3:57
4. This Time (McSweeney/Sipe/Sumpter) - 5:08
5. Never (McSweeney/Sumpter) - 4:26
6. In the Wonder (McSweeney/Sipe) - 4:22
7. Streams (McSweeney/Sumpter) - 3:22
8. The Darkest Night (Matthew) - 4:16
9. Where Did You Go (McSweeney/Sipe) - 5:30
10. Breathing (Matthew) - 4:31
11. You Thought (McSweeney) - 3:53
12. Overboard (McSweeney) - 6:53