Anime is the term commonly applied to Japanese animation. Though just being a shortened word for animation, thus applying to all types of animation, it is usually limited to Japanese ones. The first anime was that of Osamu Tezuka's manga Atom Boy. Since then, the tradition has continued of many anime being based on manga, Japanese comics, but there are also anime created originally as anime, and anime based off of video games.

Generally, anime is released in three different forms:

  1. Movie - The anime is released in theaters and then later on video/DVD. This is done with anime that are expected to do well, for most of the time a lot of money is spent on the movie. Examples: Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell, and Ninja Scroll.
  2. Television Series - The series comes out on a channel. It's generally released in a 13 episode season, but it can differ on the series. The budget is usually spread out over the episodes, and many series have fallen prey to having no money in the last episodes. Examples: Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, and Neon Genesis Evangelion.
  3. OVA or OAV, Original Video Animation or Original Anime Video. These are direct-to-video/DVD anime. Unlike in America, this is not a bad sign. Normally, these series have a good budget, which ends up having good animation quality. Examples: Mermaid Forest, 3x3 Eyes, and Please Save My Earth.

Recently, the anime and manga section of 00100's Everything Japanese Encyclopedia has been integrated with the anime and manga nodes.

anime/manga is a new usergroup that should be similar to groups like e2comix and e2film. Discussions of anime and manga and nodevertising of anime and manga nodes will be the main part of this group. Join now by /msging me, atesh.

This is a listing of all of the anime that have been added to the database. If you find or create one that isn't on this list, please /msg me, and it shall be promptly added. Also, if you find a mistake with the type of anime it is, please /msg me as well. Thank you!

Characters: Companies: Genres: People: Songs: Extras:
Special thanks to khym chanur, the first person to submit nodes to be added.