The Origin of the term

The word Imperialism was first used in the international scene around 1880 to describe the effort of a state or a people to impose rule (Imperium) on others. It is a hybrid term that can mean many things e.g. cultural or economic Imperialism. If one narrowly links the meaning of the word to its etymology it relates to the formation of an Empire and can be applied throughout history. But when it gained popularity in the second half of the 19th century it was a descriptive of the policies of Napoleon III. It then began to take on many more meanings.

A General Definition
“the tendency of one society or state to dominate another, by whatever means and for whatever purpose”.

This definition is the most commonly accepted. It is applicable throughout time and so relates to the Romans expanding into modern France, the Ottoman Empire expanding into Eastern Europe as well as more controversially American economic expansion in the 20th Century. It is perhaps useful to consider the difference between the more vague and general use of the term Imperialism and the more specific definitions that are outlined below. Its connotations very broad and flexible and hence one needs to be very careful in considering what oneself or an author means when using it.

A few more ways of addressing the idea

But there are more detailed definitions that are quite common and often discussed. There are three that are most influential:

  • Since Lenin’s Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism (1916), Marxists have used it denote a specific stage in the evolution of capitalism. In particular the creation of monopoly capitalism. The finance capitalists who controlled the capital first split the world into Commercial Empires and then into political Empires in order to safeguard their monopoly of markets and sources of raw material. Colonialism was therefore a feature of Imperialist Capitalism and would continue until Socialism replaced it! A slight problem came in the 30 years after 1945 when these Empires in fact disappeared! Later Marxists adapted Lenin’s view arguing finance capitalism had merely changed its techniques of control: ex colonies were still economically subservient. This new condition was called: Neo-Colonialism.The key feature of Lenin and Marxists definitions was the inevitability of Colonialism: it was not just an option!
  • Reflects a belief that Imperialism was an inevitable consequence of the disproportionate industrial and political power established by Europe and North American in the 19thand 20th century. This was not specifically as result of monopoly capitalism though. It denies that a significant number of Europeans ever wanted to govern Africa: they were not positive Imperialists. Two consequences occurred was that as Europeans activities in these regions intensified. The first was the conflict between conflicting European groups in these areas. The second was that few indigenous governments or social structures managed to operate for long as alien interference grew greater. Hence Colonialism was the consequence of these two difficulties. So in this view decolonization came when these non-European societies had reached or were reaching a level of efficiency that would enable them to survive alone (I know this sounds a little strained!).
  • Argues that Imperialism was an act of will and constituted a deliberate choice on the part of the Imperialists. Hence the definition that Imperialism is:
    “the deliberate act or advocacy of extending or maintaining a state’s direct or indirect political control over any other inhabited territory.”
    This places the focus on the decision to extend an Empire. This would therefore incorporate various reason for the extension of such an Empire e.g. to defend shipping lines, to have bases overseas and supporting European colonists. What these have in common is the potential for the state to decide not to extend its territories. Therefore the end of Imperialism and formal Empire would occur when the Imperialists decided that it was no longer possible or in their interests to try and maintain an Empire.
Bibliography