Zionism is, by definition, the idea that Jews should live in Israel (Zion meaning either Jerusalem or Israel). It is an age-old idea (the first real Zionist Activists only really started to gather during the middle of the 19th century, though), which can trace its roots to the Great Rebellion, c. AD 70, after which most of the Jews left Israel. rk2001's claim of Zionism being practiced only by the bad, evil Jews - who didn't like the idea of God - is wrong. There were plenty of religious Jews in the First Zionist Congress. True, most Orthodox Jews of that day believed that an attempt to come back to Israel should only start after a sign from God, but there were many who thought that founding a Jewish State in the Land of Israel is the tchalta de'geula - the beginning of salvation; that God will only do his part after he sees the efforts of his people. The many religious Jews who live in Israel, and are very active in the political scene, prove my point.

Furthermore, there is no one true Judaism, and "law abiding righteous Jews" from one sect may not appear so to another (for example, most Orthodox Jews consider Reform Judaism an abominition, and that such Jews are worse than the Godless Jews who are following their materialistic desires).

Sources: Two years of Jewish History class, and some research of my own, plus my own thoughts on the issue.
--- July 1st, 2004 Response to rk2001's addendum and a disclaimer.
I'm not sure if the person rk2001 refered to as a Zionist was me, but if he did, then he is wrong. I'm not a Zionist. I believe Zionism is a silly ideal. Another thing. Regradless of the meaning of the word, Orthodox Jews are an extremist Jewish minority.