You'd think, to listen to the loudspeakers which surround us, that no man has ever tried to "do his thing" before. Every poet worth reading has, but those really worth reading have understood that to do your thing you have to learn first what your thing is and second how to go about it. - Archibald MacLeish

All of my efforts here are experiments in form.

I do not write here to develop characterization, although writing here has taught me how to write stronger characters. I do not write her for mechanics, although that has improved too. The best piece of of writing advice I've ever gotten here about mechanics came from Kyle about a story I wrote, The Simpleton. He msged me that I had too many commas. I reread the story and realized that I was using the commas to make the story seem important.

He was, it seemed, happy. This, he realized, was a good thing. He, like most people, in most places, of most persuasions, enjoyed happiness.

See how awkward that pacing is? I thought this technique imbued gravitas; it doesn't. I learned then that telling the reader that your story is important is self-defeating. You must believe that it is an important story to tell and let the reader make up their own mind.

Here are two versions of a paragraph of one of my unpublished stories:

Original

The department store was, with the exception of the suiting department, a female environment. There was Natasha, who ran Ladies Wear, and had turned it from a dreary mélange of dreary bargain basement frocks to a collection befitting the trendiest young socialite to the most staid matron. Daschle ran men’s wear, along with his protégé, Marcus. The two were known among a certain segment of the businessmen in the county, mid-level management and those who aspired to it. And then there was Rose, a flighty woman who was at the helm of cosmetics and accessories.

Fresh Edit

The department store was a female environment. There was Natasha, who had taken Ladies Wear and made it trendy. Daschle ran Men’s Wear along with his protégé, Marcus. The two were well-known to certain businessmen in the county, primarily mid-level management types. Then there was Rose, the flighty woman at the helm of cosmetics and accessories.

First,

I delete the majority of the modifiers; leaving only the ones that really really need to be there. When you say that someone was tremendously angry or deliriously happy you are telling your reader not to trust you, you exagerrating fool.In fact, People show emotion by what they say or do, not by their narration.

Next,

I look at all of my appositive phrases. An appositive phrase is a clause that modifies a noun. Example: Veronica, class president and world-class meth addict, walked to school one day. I, a lover of commas, am particularly bad about this.

Then,

I look for extra words. I strike through anything that might gives the appearance of giving my writing a sort of heaviness. Often when we write we tend to insert these filler words; because we are afraid of giving the impression that we are making a clear statement. We have been brow beaten into timid writing.

Some of those struck passages were inserted as examples; most were organic. That is the way my first draft looks before I edit.

On Experiments in Form

When I first started writing short stories ten years ago I was paralyzed by form; terrified to imagine that my stories could be told in a different way than I had told them. I might arbitrarily pick a form for my writing that would stifle it. The only method I have lit on is to experiment until I find a form that fits the story. One day I hope to be smart enough to divine the correct form at the start; until then I stab violently in the dark until things line up.

When I write for E2 I am less interested in the content and more interested in exploring the way a story might be told. Content drives the story but its form shapes it. I think once I learn everything there is to learn about form, my time here will be done, and I will move on to greener pastures.

Always remember that writing here teaches you how to write, but also how to write for E2. I think the reason more of us haven't become published writers is that we become successful at writing for E2, and are unwilling to improve past that.

I have improved much in the four years since I came here. I urge you to think of your writing here as a work in progress. I urge you to improve what you can, and have the rest consigned to the rubbish pile.

Thank you for your time.