For a depressed person, a day isn't just a day. A day is 24 more hours of horrible suffering. Another day where you let everyone down, and feel even worse.

I see it as not just a mindset, not something you can "snap out of" (but those close to you may think you can, and subtly show how annoyed they are that you can't just fix it yourself). I think part of it, at least, truly is a disease of the mind.

In depression, things that should make you feel good, just don't. It's like eating food and not being able to taste it. (I've had sinus infections where I lost the sense of taste for weeks at a time). Anything that makes you feel bad is just magnified. Any mistake you make, anything you do wrong, lingers and echoes and reverberates in your mind.

It's like being in a pit that you cannot climb out of. And the worst part is this: no one understands. No one can, because (unless they are depressed themselves), they are functioning normally - they can take things in stride. A setback isn't a big deal to them, because they are resilient. They can't see what it's like to be depressed, when there's no such thing as resilience. And many times they can be unknowingly hurtful by belittling the depressed person's feelings, which only makes them feel more isolated, more like something's wrong with them, more like they are failing.

Depressed people can offer each other a great amount of solace, though, because they see the world in a similar way, and they understand each others' pain. This is one of the few comforts for a depressed person.

I know how it seems to make no sense for someone to take their own life, but for them, it can often be the option that offers the least amount of suffering, and sometimes they just can't take it anymore. For me, I knew I couldn't really do it because I knew I didn't *deserve* to have a release from my suffering. Terribly pathetic, but that's how it was. And I knew I couldn't justify hurting my family like that just so *I* could end my pain.

I will never forget what it was like to be depressed. Part of me will always be in that pit, in a way. When I hear that someone committed suicide, my first thought is compassion, to think of how much they must have suffered to want to die just to make it stop. And I think that in some small way I am glad that they aren't hurting anymore. (No, that doesn't make it right, at all). And of course I recognize the terrible waste and feel badly for the ones left behind.

Beth