I had Salmonella once, it struck me after eating some questionable sausage, and it kicked in about 10% of the way on a four and a half day bus trip (Toronto -> Seattle) across the country. I never got to a doctor, but really should have. I made it but I remember wondering if I would live through it about halfway in.

A few words of advice for those who find themselves afflicted with Salmonella:

  • Don't make any plans for a good week or two.
  • Never stray far from a toilet for the first 5 days or so.
  • Go to a doctor if you can, although there is not too much they can do for you, the antibiotics sometimes make it go away faster.
  • Drink as much water as you can, most people who die of Salmonella die more directly from dehydration.
  • Fruit juice is a good idea because you can use the calories and probably won't be able to eat/digest anything for a few days. (I lost 10 pounds in 5 days, took 4 months to get them back).
  • If possible, have somebody around who loves you enough to take care of you and clean up after you, because the fever and vomiting and diarrhea and delerium is a bad combination.
  • Get lots of rest.
  • When you are on the mend, yogurt is good to eat, meat is not, anything tough to digest will be a bad scene at the other end.