CAP'N CRUNCH is one of the best-loved breakfast cereals of the western world. Owned by the Quaker Oats company, it is enjoyed by children and adults alike.

Physical Characteristics

Cap'n Crunch's primary (and in some cases, only) constituent is small golden puffs of carbohydrates, heavily sweetened. Shaped approximately like an overstuffed pillow, they are ostensibly intended to resemble treasure chests.

These puffs (how they will be referred to hereafter) are extremely crunchy, at least in the early stages of exposure to milk -- So much so that they present an actual hazard to the roof of your mouth and to your gums. Incautious consumption of the cereal can actually result in bleeding wounds in these locations.

The puffs also come in a peanut butter flavored variant which is quite tasty.

Another addition to the cereal is the controversial Crunch Berry. Many question whether these approximately spherical and more or less berry-colored (and flavored) puffs enhance the overall Cap'n Crunch experience, but they have been around nearly as long as the original cereal and as such appear to be here to stay.

Varieties

History

Cap'n Crunch cereal was brought on the scene in 1963. Crunchberries were added (resulting in "Cap'n Crunch's Crunchberries") in 1967. (Cap'n Crunch's) Peanut Butter Crunch followed in 1969, and Cap'n Crunch's Oops! All Berries was released in 1997. Finally, the year 2002 brings us Cap'n Crunch's Oops! Choco Donuts.

The lovable character of "The Cap'n" was created by Jay Ward, creator of Rocky and Bullwinkle, Dudley Do-Right, and George of the Jungle.


References:

  • Website: www.capncrunch.com.