Being an Australian, I am a very avid fan of cricket. It is my favourite sport. I watched as much as i can when its televised. I even play the fast paced indoor version, which also happens to be quite dangerous. Seeing the overviews in this node reminded me of one definition i remember reading.

I have a book here at home, Cricket Trivia Declared. I got it from my grandpa when i was about 8. It is, as the title suggests, a book full of cricket trivia. As i was flicking through its small A5 pages, i found possibly the most confusing definition of the game that has ever been recorded.


During a trip to England, an American tourist visited the hallowed Lords cricket ground and got into a conversation with an MCC member, during which, he asked for a definition of the game of cricket. This was the reply he got:

Cricket is very simple. It is played between two sides - one out and the other in. The side that's in goes in and the side that's out goes out and tries to get each man in the side that's in, out. When the side that's in is out, then the side that's been out goes in and the side that's been in goes out, and tries to get the side coming in out. Each man in the side that's in goes in until he's out. When both sides have been in and out, including the not-outs, that's the end of the game.

No wonder Americans think its a wacked version of baseball.

Ironically enough, the ICC want Florida to host some matches for the 2007 world cup. It will be interesting to see if any of the americans that show dont leave feeling confused.