Neil Gaiman was born on November 10, 1960 in Portchester, Hampshire, on the south coast of England. His mother introduced him to books and stories at an early age and, by the age of two, he was trying to read books by himself (although to what success I cannot say.) He started writing his own little stories and poems at age three (much like a young Mozart, it seems) and by the time he was eight, Gaiman was writing original stories with persistant characters.

Around this time, Gaiman was introduced to American comic books and, for the next eight years, read them passionately. When a high school counselor asked him what he wanted to do when he grew up, Gaiman said that he wanted to write American comic books. The counselor was less than enthusiastic and suggested instead a career in accountancy.

Fortunately for the world, Gaiman declined to accept that advice. He started writing professionally by the time he was twenty. His first attempts at fiction were met with polite disinterest. To pay the bills, Gaiman started working as a free-lance journalist. His most consistant employer was Knave, a British men's magazine whose editor had decided that, since his entire readership was solely concerned with women's breasts, he had might as well fill the pages in between with whatever he liked.

In 1985, Gaiman came across a copy of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing at a tube stop which rekindled his interest in comics. That year, he met Moore and from him learned the mechanics of scripting a comic book. Soon, Gaiman was writing his own comics in the U. K., his breakout title being Violent Cases in 1987.

Karen Berger, DC's liason to the UK, approached Gaiman about doing a monthly comic book in late-1987. Gaiman suggested a number of established DC characters including the Phantom Stranger (his first choice) and the Demon (who would later make appearences in the Sandman.) Finally, fatefully, the two agreed on the Sandman.

The Sandman, which tells the story of the anthropomorphic personification of dreams and the trials and troubles he (it?) has, ran monthly from December 1988 to March 1996. In total, there were seventy-five issues and one special. During that time, the series garnered nearly every comic book award of note, winning the Eisner for "Best Writer" four years running (1991-1994.) It even won a non-comics award, the World Fantasy Award for "Best Short Story" in 1991.

Gaiman continues to write, although most of his work now is away from comic books. Some of his recent books have been Smoke and Mirrors (a short story collection), Neverwhere (both the book and the BBC series) and Stardust (a modern fairy tale in the Lewis Carroll mold.) In 1999, Gaiman also did the English-language script for Hayao Miyazaki's "Princess Mononoke". In 2001, his book American Gods was published and became a New York Times Bestseller.

Gaiman now lives and works in the US. He is good friends with Tori Amos. Also I'm told that his house has two basements. In January 2011, he married Amanda Palmer.



Sources: