A Decaying Orbit

Well that was it. We gave in. Fell in, got sucked in. It was disturbingly easy how easily everything fell apart; it seemed so solid, but there is always stuff out there way bigger than us. Stuff we just can’t anticipate.

An event horizon is the point of no return in the regime of relativity. Around a singularity it is the threshold beyond which there is no escape. Moving toward the singularity is analogous to moving forward in time

So all of the promises that we made, the security blanket that we stitched together – I’ll stick it in a trunk labeled memory. The trunk doesn’t keep anything safe, everything inside eventually fades away to dust. The latch is an event horizon. It is a boundary that, once crossed, makes it impossible for the things inside to physically affect things outside. Emotions are energy that is ripped and hurled away as painful things slowly fall away beyond the latch. Powerful and unrelenting at first, energy eventually disperses and is lost among the background radiation of what makes me who I am.

Entropy is the ugly monster that lurks just under the surface of The Second Law. It is everything that can never be retrieved or rebuilt. It is the heat death of the universe, the fading of our memories, and the failure of our bodies.

And things get more disorganized, and so this giant contraption continues to unwind. Everything gets imperceptibly closer to being the same temperature. You can't fix something without breaking something else.

I thought it mattered. I thought we could overcome any obstacle. But we are out of time and out of gas. Fatigue and life set in. I thought we could matter.

But I’m empirically insignificant.