There are many theories about the significance of the song Eulogy, on Tool's Ænima album. This is only one of those theories.

It can be argued that Eulogy is written to eulogise two people; Bill Hicks and Jesus Christ.

An allusion to Jesus Christ is fairly obvious. There are references to a martyr who tried to become divine, someone who would die for his followers. The Bible mentions that Jesus died on the cross for the sins of humanity, and the lyrics correspond - "you must be crucified | for our sins and our lives."

The tone that is used by Maynard James Keenan when he sings lines explicitly dealing with such biblical references seems very angry and betrayed. There is a feeling that whoever has led him for this time has ultimately betrayed his own principles, even though he died for his followers as he said he would.

References to the late comedian Bill Hicks are a little more subtle in Eulogy. Before we consider the actual lyrics, it is worthwhile to point out a couple of things about the album Ænima:

  • A photograph of Bill Hicks appears in the liner notes with a subtext that reads "Bill Hicks | Another Dead Hero". This is actually what you will first see when you open the cd case; Bill looking at you sideways, half merged with a pattern of eyes
  • There are several direct live recordings of Bill Hicks on the secret track "Third Eye"
  • The track Ænema refers to a concept which originated with Bill Hicks; the idea that one day Los Angeles would tip into the ocean, leaving a "beautiful tranquility known as Arizona Bay"
  • It appears likely that the concept of the third eye, which is mentioned in the track of that name was first introduced to Tool by Bill Hicks, who talked about it frequently during his shows
  • Ænima was released in 1996; two years after Bill Hicks died in 1994

So what parts of actual lyrics of Ænema point to the song being about Bill Hicks? Several things.

Firstly, the song refers to someone "Ranting and pointing his finger". Bill Hicks was a known ranter; in fact it was his job. His style as a comedian was to get up on stage and rant, mainly about people's stupidity.

Secondly, the song refers to someone who stood "above the crowd | He had a voice that was strong and loud". This again is Hicks to a tee; his life was standing on a stage, telling people about the world; and he was loud. At times Hicks would shout and almost scream.

Standing above the crowd can also refer to Hicks' libertarian/left-wing views. Hicks was in his prime at a time when the United States of America was supporting the Gulf War and the war on drugs, and there was a huge sense of patriotism. In the face of this patriotism, Bill Hicks was touring around the southern states telling people that George Bush should be assassinated, and encouraging people to take psychedelic mushrooms. Hardly down in the crowd.

It seems that Tool were "Eager to identify with" Bill Hicks also; they certainly seem to have been obsessed with him around the time when they were producing Ænima.

Extremely poignantly for me, the lyrics of the song run "We wish you well. You told us how you weren't afraid to die." A well known fact is that Bill Hicks continued touring as a comedian after he found out that he had terminal pancreatic cancer. In fact Hicks was more than touring, he was making jokes about dying from cancer, and laughing at the fact that the audience would love him to die after poking fun at non-smokers for so many years.

What a powerful message. Literally, Hicks was a man who laughed at death.

Lastly, (and somewhat strangely), Hicks had related a story, years before he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, of a psychedelic episode in which he envisaged a small golden cross; in the location of his pancreas.

To conclude: a valid reading of Ænema is that it refers to a dual eulogy in which the identities of Jesus and Bill Hicks are entwined. The song itself is powerful enough to make a fitting eulogy for two amazing and inspirational men.