Borderline Personality Disorder

Life on the border... between neurotic and psychotic

Borderline Personality Disorder often occurs with at least 1 other mental disorder. The most common are mood disorders like Bipolar disorder (manic depression), OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder), eating disorders, other personality disorders (includes Avoidant, Antisocial/Psychopathic, narcissistic, etc.), substance abuse or related disorders, Attention deficit disorder (ADD), and Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Facts and statistics

  • Sadly, about 10% of individuals with BPD will successfully complete suicide. For borderlines suffering from mood disorders, the rate is even higher.
  • The good news is that those who make it to their 30s and 40s usually experience increased stability.
  • BPD affects about 2% of the general population, 10% of people seeing outpatient psych. doctors, and 20% of patients in hospitals. Many borderlines will be hospitalized at some time during the course of the illness.
  • There is an increased risk of Borderline Personality Disorder among those with relatives with the disorder as well as those with Antisocial/Psychopathic Personality Disorder, subsstance-related disorders, and mood disorders.

MORE FACTS:

Famous borderlines:

  • Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald- author of "Save me the Waltz" (her autobiography), dancer, artist and wife of writer F. Scott Fitzgerald. She was said to be unusual. She nursed until she was 4, twirled and danced in public, and underwent heavy ballet training as an adult.However, she ended up spending most of her adult life in and out of hospitals and treatment and was originally diagnosed with schizophrenia and manic depression before being diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.
  • Susanna Kaysen - author of "girl, interrupted" the story of Susanna's stay in a psychiatric hospital as a late teen. She is also the author of many other books. Look her up!
  • Princess Diana

I have heard that there are many famous writers and artists that were borderlines. I will post them when I find out who they are!

What distinguishes Borderline from the other personality disorders?

  • Antisocial/Psychopathic Personality Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder both share the trait of manipulation. But those with Antisocial Personality Disorder manipulate to gain profit and material gratification. Borderlines manipulate to gain the power and concern of other people.
  • Although Histrionic Personality Disorder consists of rapidly-shifting emotions, manipulative and attention-seeking behavior, Borderline Personality Disorder is distinguished by self-destructive behaviors, anger, and a feeling of deep emptiness.
  • Schizotypal Personality Disorder and BPD can both cause paranoid illusions and ideas, but those in BPD are far more transient.
  • Paranoid and Narcissistic Personality Disorders share with borderline the angry reaction to minor stimuli, but borderlines are distinguished by self-destructiveness, impulsivity, and abandonment issues.
  • Dependent Personality Disorder and BPD are both concerned with abandonment issues. However, while individuals with Dependent Personality Disorder react with increased submissiveness, urgently seeking a replacement relationship, borderlines react with anger and feelings of emotional emptiness. Additionally, borderline can be distinguished by its pattern of unstable and intense relationships.

What can friends and family do?

The best thing to do is stay informed, RESEARCH THE DISORDER, and be as patient and supportive as you can. Never give up, keep trying, because BPD affects everyone, not only the person with the illness. If necessary, talk to a professional who can give you tips of dealing with your significant other/friend/relative with the illness, or join a support group. It is important to take care of the person with the illness. But is important to take care of yourself too. Recommended reading can be found at http://www.mhsanctuary.com/borderline/bkindex.htm

Copy and paste the address into the address bar at the top of the screen.

RECOMMENDED READING

It is VERY important not only for borderlines, but also anyone involved with them to very well understand the disease! Read up! Just go to the library and check out a book!! Just do it! Recommended reading can be found at

http://www.mhsanctuary.com/borderline/bkindex.htm