There are now five games in the Metroid series; the original Metroid for the NES came out around 1986. Then in 1992 Metroid II for Game boy was released. In 1994 SNES version of Metroid. In 2002 it is expected that will be a new Game Boy Advanced version, which contains new moves and actions while staying true to the 2-d nature, and there is also a first person game being made for the Gamecube, both should be released on the same day.

Each of these games follows one of the most famous female character in video games, Samus Aran. She wears a large suit of armor and has a laser or beam weapon.

The original Metroid was a very advanced version of a cartridge for the NES. It was a 2-D side scrolling adventure. It contained a few famous characters such as Kraid, Ridley and Mother Brain.

The second game in the series, Metroid II was a simplified version where Samus Aran chased down various Metroid types in a monochrome color scheme.

The third game for the SNES was an improved version of the first game with more weapons and items, and a large amount of exploration area, a large version of Kraid and more dangerous version of Ridley reappear as well as mother brain. While it also was a 2-D Side scroller, it also felt like it was a a huge improvement in all most every way.

There are two new versions to come out in the next year. They are Metroid Fusion on the Game Boy Advanced,and Metroid Prime on the Gamecube.

In addition the figure of Samus Aran can be played in both Super Smash Brothers and its sequel Super Smash Bros. Melee