Gulliver's Travels is a novel by Jonathan Swift, first published in 1726. It is a fictional journal of Lemuel Gulliver, as he travels through previously unexplored territory. Like much of Swift's work, it is a piece of social and political satire.

The book is split into 4 sections:
Part I: A Voyage to Lilliput
In Part I, Gulliver is ship wrecked and swims to Lilliput, an island where everything is 1/12 the normal size. He learns that Lilliput and their neighbor Blefuscu have had an on going war for some time over which end eggs should be broken. This is the origin of the terms big-endian and little-endian.

Part II: A Voyage to Brobdingnag
In Part II, Gulliver is once again cast onto a strange shore. Here, he encounters a race of giants. He learns of their culture, which is used to mock 18th century European views. One passage involves Gulliver's disbelief when the King refuses to learn about gun powder after Gulliver describes the damage cannons and bombs could do.

Part III: A Voyage to Laputa, Balnibarbi, Glubbdubdrib, Luggnagg, and Japan
In Part III, Gulliver travels to the flying island of the Laputans. The Laputans are extremely scientific, but very impractical.

Part IV: A Voyage to the Country of the Houyhnhnms
In Part IV, Gulliver's crew mutinys and he is stranded on another shore. Here he encounters the Houyhnhnms, who are a race of intelligent horses. He learns that they keep a race of primitive humans, Yahoos, and use them much like we use horses. As Gulliver learns their language, he is able to explain the workings of human society to the Houyhnhnms. Political satire ensues.