First off, very good ASCII

But however 10 pot (piston) calipers are now available I belive they are made by BREMBO.

The number of pistons can be either odd or even, i.e. the single piston caliper or the 10 piston caliper.

There are different types of ventilation on modern disc brakes, the most common is the one ilustrated in the ASCII above which has a space in between the two friction surfaces of the disc and this gap is "drilled into" near the centre of the disc ther-fore as the disk rotates the air within it (in the gap) is forced out centrifugal force and the lack of pressure draws in clean cold(er) air.

Also if you look on most modern cars (it helps if they have an open sytle wheel) if you look on the caliper (big lump of metal) then you may see a plate of some description (on the side under the car), this exists to duct ait to the caliper as this can hold a lot of residual heat and thus warm the disc and pads.

There are also drilled and groved discs on the market the drilled ones are lighter and the air passes through the disk cross-wise (this also helps disperce any gasses that may be created between the disk and pad steam (a disk brake can stand 500-600 degrees C, this type is usually used on motor bikes)), the groved disks are not strictly for cooling but do cool slightly better than a normal disc the way that they are made is a line (or multiple lines) are cut into the surface of the disk, this increases the surface area to volume ratio and also as the edge of a line scrapes the pad is removes any glazing that can form on the surface (due to exessive heat). Any combination of theese can be used.

-IMPORTANT- after reading the above do NOT attack your brakes with a drill/angle grinder/any other power tool as when any brake is manufactured it is balanced (like a car wheel when you get a new tyre) and this balancing can be down to 100ths of a gram.