Peanut's Fabulous Banana Muffins with Crumb Topping


I'm addicted to any muffin that is adorned with a crumbly topping. My cravings are so bad that I'll only eat the tops of muffins just so I can increase my crumb-to-muffin ratio. Fortunately these banana muffins, decorated with an excellent butter and brown sugar topping, calm my urges. As with any baked good using bananas, the bananas are best when they are overripe to the point of turning black. I try to buy bananas a week before I make these muffins to allow them to thoroughly ripen.

Makes 10 muffins.


Grab:

For the muffins:

For the topping:

Make:

Take out a muffin pan and line 10 cups with muffin papers. Spray the paper and pan with oil to prevent the muffins from sticking

Get out two medium-sized bowls. Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt) in one and the wet ingredients (mashed bananas, sugar, egg, and butter) in the other. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix everything just until it is blended. Do not overmix. Spoon the batter equally into the 10 muffin cups.

Now for the topping. Dump the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter in a small bowl. Using a pastry blender or a fork, blend everything until the butter is incorporated evenly into the topping. It should look like clumps of sand. Sprinkle the topping over the muffins.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until the topping looks nice and brown and the muffins spring back when you poke them. Let the muffins cool and pull them out of the pan. Eat now!


If you want, you can freeze these muffins for later consumption. Be sure to wrap them well with foil or saran wrap before tossing them in the freezer. However, I've never done this as all the muffins mysteriously disappear before I get a chance...