So I just kind of guessed at the oven temp and time, but it's not complicated. Just think like a toaster. But I figured I might as well do a web search anyway to see if anybody had better ways of making the flavoring stick to the bread than our usual method. "making garlic toast" (because I am under the impression that many people will call it that, since I have seen menus reading that way) gave me a bunch of mountebanks using garlic salt and garlic powder. That's fine if you're in college and you have no sink to wash up the cutting board and stuff, or you're a single parent, or whatever, but really, there's a better way. Then I tried "make garlic bread traditional" and just got snobbish pieces about how bruschetta in its various pronunciations is The Only True And Authorized Combination of Garlic And Bread, and how it must be made by smearing a sliced clove against a piece of lightly toasted bread either before or after oliveoiling it, and never ever should butter be used because they don't have butter in Italy, and the Acceptable and Sanctioned Serving Additions are fresh basil and tomatoes, and so on.

Now look; bruschetta is nice. It's fresh, tasty, delicious. It may even be Italian. But when you want garlic bread, that is not it, just as fettucine and manicotti and anything else featuring doubled consonants and ending in a diminutive are not the noodles Made In The Traditional Way, which is of course in pork bone soup with anise and cinnamon and ginger, or whichever Chinese way is the oldest.

So maybe garlic bread is an American invention. It is tasty, and it has a new name, and no one is losing royalties or recognition, so God bless it.

Now, my crux scribendi is this: Whereas it turns out that apparently no one makes garlic bread the way my family does; and whereas sensei on everything2 taught me how to make a great vindaloo, and whereas everything2 also brought me gems like "Onigiri is made of someone", So despite any latent ambitions I may have about opening a little neighborhood eatery some day, I will give back to everything2.

Mince about six or seven garlic cloves per two footlong hoagie rolls, or whatever bread you have. Slice hoagie rolls diagonally, like 45° is fine, more is maybe finer, because then you get more absorbent surface area, and therefore more flavor. Melt butter in a skillet over low (say, 30%) heat, throw in the garlic and sautée it until golden, which comes just before brown. Smear your pieces of bread in there--one side is fine--leaving enough for the other pieces so they all win. Arrange the upgraded bread on a baking sheet/pan/dish. Into the oven, 425℉ for 5min worked for me, but watch them. When browning, remove. Serve hot. Usually we put them into the oven during the last few minutes of the lasagna's endothermic transformation, since saving resources and with lasagna is The Satkomuni Sanctioned Best Way To Serve garlic bread.