So I join this site and I get a nice message from someone who can stay nameless for the time being advising me to read something called Everything FAQ. So I read this thing called Evertyhing FAQ about all the do’s and don’ts and stuff and I still can’t figure out what it is I want to write.

So I message this person and they tell me start off with something called a “daylog” and I’m like “What the hell is a “daylog?” and they’re like “Well, it’s kind of a way to tell something about yourself without really posting it.”

So, I think to myself, “Why in the hell would I want to do that? There’s enough anonymous people crawling around the globe to fill five of the seven continents with plenty of room left over, we don’t need no more of that kind of stuff.” But then I start to thinkin’, “Hey, it’s your house, I’ll play by your rules.”

Anyways, we’ve probably met someone in our lifetime who could wear the title of “silver tongue devil” in many different ways. Sometimes it could be used to flatter somebody and sometimes the term takes on a derogatory tone. Usually it applies to someone who can (and mark my words, will) bullshit their way out of just about any situation. Sometimes you admire them sometimes not. It might just be a matter of timing.

As for me, well, I like the way Kris Kristofferson put it in his song called “The Silver Tongued Devil and I”

I took myself down to the Tally Ho Tavern,
To buy me a bottle of beer.
And I sat me down by a tender young maiden,
Who's eyes were as dark as her hair.
And as I was searching from bottle to bottle,
For something un-foolish to say.
That silver tongued devil just slipped from the shadows,
And smilingly stole her away.

See, that’s the whole about being a silver tongue devil. They can steal stuff right out from under your nose and most of the time and you’d hardly notice. I guess some folks might consider it an art form. Some other folks might consider it a way of life. Others still might think of it as theft. In retrospect, either way it’s a little like laying the charm on, sometimes it’s too thick and sometimes it’s too thin and sometimes it's gone in a heartbeat.

I said: "Hey, little girl, don't you know he's the devil.
"He's everything that I ain't.
"Hiding intentions of evil,
"Under the smile of a saint.
"All he's good for is getting in trouble,
"And shiftin' his share of the blame.
"And some people swear he's my double:
"And some even say we're the same.
"But the silver-tongued devil's got nothing to lose,
"I'll only live 'til I die.
"We take our own chances and pay our own dues,
"The silver tongued devil and I."

Oh, come on now, let’s face it. We’ve all tried to bullshit somebody in our lives at one time or another. Maybe it’s to land a job, a school or get into somebody else’s shorts. It doesn’t matter. What starts out as a little white lie often blossoms into tales that’d make the average person blush. I guess people will go a long way to get what they desire. It’s my theory that as long as nobody gets hurt along the way, well, it’s just part of life then.

Like all the fair maidens who've laid down beside him,
She knew in her heart that he'd lied.
Nothin' that I could have said could have saved her,
No matter how hard that she tried.
'Cos she'll offer her charms to the darkness and danger,
Of somethin' that she's never known.
And open her arms at the smile of a stranger,
Who'll love her and leave her alone.

Like I said earlier, sometimes you can just see it coming. You know when you’re on the other end of some bullshit story but still you listen, rapt to the tune and the telling. That little antenna or radar or whatever you want to call it sounds off in your head and warning signals race through your brain. That’s where the art form for the “silver tongued devil” kicks in. A good con man, if he’s worth his salt, can con just about anybody, even those who share his lot in life. Those of his ilk figure it’s all just part of the game.

And you know, he's the devil.
He's everything that I ain't.
Hiding intentions of evil,
Under the smile of a saint.
All he's good for is getting in trouble,
And shiftin' his share of the blame.
And some people swear he's my double:
And some even say we're the same.
But the silver-tongued devil's got nothing to lose,
I'll only live 'til I die.
We take our own chances and pay our own dues,
Ah ha ha ha.

The silver tongued devil and I.

You see, excluding rapists and killers and other folks who prefer to follow their violent tendencies and wrestle with their inner demons, when you get right down to it, we’re mostly all the same.

We’re all just trying to get along…

Buy you a drink sometime?

Oh yeah, one of the boss folks ‘round here told me I gotta give credit where credit is due. Shit, I ain’t one to steal someone else’s thunder so here goes…

Words to “The Silver Tongued Devil and I” copyright by Kris Kristofferson – a sure fire silver tongued devil himself if he don’t mind me sayin’ so.

(This is nothing but a work of fiction, most things usually are.)