An extensive and fascinating group of herbs belonging to the mint family, Labiatae.

It is native to India, but has been in use in the Middle East and parts of the Mediterranean for thousands of years. It was not until the sixteenth century however, that the herb was introduced into continental Europe. There are over 40 varieties of basil, of which a half dozen or so are of culinary interest.

  • Ocimum basilicum or sweet basil. This is the most common variety and the one you are most likely to encounter at the greengrocer. It has large bright green leaves and a pungent aroma, with small white flowers. Reject any bearing these flowers as they diminish the basil flavour of the leaves.

  • O. minimum or bush basil. As the scientific name suggests, this is smaller variety, which is very similar to sweet basil, but has a milder flavour and aroma. This variety originated in South America.

  • O. basilicum var. purpurascens or red basil, has strikingly vivid red to purple foliage and deep pink flowers. It has a pronounced aroma, but only a mild basil flavour, so it tends to be treated more as an ornamental plant and as a garnish. Some hybrids have serrated leaves.

  • O. tenuiflorum var. sanctum, better known as holy basil or Thai basil, is an ancient herb that originated in India and has strong religious associations in that country as well as Thailand. It has compact dark green leaves and purple flowers. The entire plant has a strong aniseed aroma and flavour. This variety of basil is the one exception to the "no flowers" rule as the presence of flowers actually increases the herb's flavour.

  • O. basilicum var. cinnamon or cinnamon basil, has deep green to brown leaves with pink flowers. It has a pungent cinnamon aroma when cut or rubbed. This variety comes originally from Mexico.

  • O. basilicum var. citriodorum or lemon basil has small, pale green, serrated leaves, with a distinctive point to their end. It originated in Indonesia and as one would expect, has a lemony taste and aroma.

    There are two points of view as to the origin of the word basil. The Greek basilikon means royal or kingly, indicating the high esteem with which the herb was regarded. Alternatively, the Latin basiliscus refers to the basilisk, a fire-breathing dragon, perhaps a reference to the herb's pungency.

    All varieties of basil are easy to grow from seed and will thrive in a climate lacking in extremes. All they require is a large supply of direct sunlight (I have found full afternoon sun to be particularly successful) and a regular watering. Sweet basil and tomatoes have a long-standing culinary association, but a lesser known fact is that the two are often used in companion planting as basil repels the pests that can drive the tomato grower mad.

    In the kitchen the herb has a myriad of uses. The tomato and basil pairing is reinforced by the famous insalta Caprese, a simple and delicious combination of basil, tomatoes and bocconcini cheese. Basil does not freeze well and dried basil is a pointless exercise, so if you must preserve the freshness of the herb, try making a pesto instead, or blend basil leaves with olive oil, sea salt and wine vinegar to make basil oil, which is delicious tossed through hot pasta. Most recipes insist that you tear basil rather than cut it, as a knife bruises the delicate leaves. While this is true, I have found this bruising has no impact on flavour, so if presentation is not important (such as in pasta sauce), then chop away.