Tim Hortons (no apostrophe, oddly) is a Canadian institution. Sort of a combination Krispy Kreme, Wendy's, and delicatessen. There is really no American restaurant equivalent, because the Tim Hortons experience goes far beyond just the food they serve (and, aside from the doughnuts and coffee, the food is mediocre). The best American analogue would be to describe Tim Hortons as Mom and Apple Pie. It's just very... Canadian.

This is ironic, since while the chain was founded by Tim Horton in 1964, and continued under his partner (Ron Joyce) and wife until 1995, it's currently owned by Wendy's, which operates out of Columbus, Ohio, USA. Still, Tim Hortons marketing still focuses on Canadiana, such as a kid spending his Christmas cash to buy a coffee for the guy who's shoveling the ice rink on the lake.

Tim Hortons' donuts overshadow (IMO) Krispy Kreme's easily. But the real strength of Tim Hortons is the coffee. Oh, the coffee. As a programmer, I've been drinking coffee heavily for years, and of all the coffees I've drunk, I dream only of Tim Hortons' (Jamaican Blue Mountain, feh!) Nicely strong, little bitterness, and made to-order.

Ordering a coffee at Tim Hortons has a bit of a ritual, much like In 'n' Out hamburgers have many special orders. There are four sizes: small, medium, large, and extra-large. "Black" is self-explanatory. "Regular" is with one cream and one sugar (beware: "one sugar" is a BIG sugar!) "Double Double" is a double cream, double sugar. "Double Single" or "Two and one" is a double cream, single sugar. "One and three" is my odd friend's favourite order, specifying triple sugar (your stirstick seems to have dissolved!) And so on. These are usually served in the distinctive brown Tim Hortons paper cups. However, holiday cups (snowflakes, hockey rinks, toques, and other such Canadian apple-pie-equivalents) or promotional cups (Roll Up the Rim to Win!) may be substituted.