John Hancock is also the name of a sportscaster on CBC radio in Canada. What he does is quite a trick.

Most sports being of interest to listeners because of their local appeal ("How did the home team do?"), the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's radio news service doesn't go to the trouble of providing recaps of last night's games and matches on the morning national news, which airs on stations across the country every hour on the hour from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m.

But because the CBC's listenership is overwhelmingly middle aged and bourgeois, the local stations don't generally have enough sports work to be done to justify employing local sportscasters. So John Hancock is a sort of local sports guy for every CBC morning radio show across the country that wants him.

He works in Halifax, on the east coast, and spends about five minutes every hour on each station, coming back several times a morning at, say, 20 minutes after the hour to do a new sports update. He chats with the host in, say, Edmonton as if he were there, then proceeds to run down the sports news that would matter to listeners there: a big game of national interest, if there is one (if, for example, the Stanley Cup hockey finals are on, or a Canadian baseball team is in the World Series hunt), then the purely local teams (the Edmonton Trappers AAA baseball team, for instance) all the way down to the local collegiate teams. So, sitting in Halifax, he'll tell Edmontonians how the University of Alberta women's volleyball team did last night, if they played.

And then it's onto the Calgary station, then Winnipeg, and so on.

The CBC doesn't keep Hancock's home base a secret -- he'll mention the weather there from time to time, for instance -- but it might be possible to listen for years without realizing that he's not downtown in your city.

Hancock was born in Galt, Ontario, and has covered every Olympic Games since 1980.