In Finland, the Swedish system where all laws are obeyed, even if they don't make any sense, has become more rational. The law states that the pedestrians have the right for way when they have stepped on the crosswalk, when there are no traffic lights. In practice this means that the drivers will not run over you, but try to prevent being mutually exclusive spatially. The pedestrian should aim at this goal also. If you have to decide whose turn it is, that is social behaviour, which is to be prevented by the Finns at any cost!

First, try to see whether you can avoid the whole thing. Go before or after the car. There are few places in Finland where there even is so heavy traffic that the way for you wouldn't be clear quickly. If you stand there on the pavement waiting, no driver will even notice you. Step on the the road after one car has gone, and so the second car will stop for you, if the driver isn't aggressive, so-called juvenile, blind or stupid. The cars will go behind and in front of you, if they have time. When there are traffic lights, you can jaywalk quite freely. Go against the red light, when there are no cars that can run over you. If there are cars, the drivers will be annoyed. At least I was, when one pedestrian shot out right in front of my car without warning. The place wasn't a crosswalk, either.