There is a tendency, among entertainment fandom these days, to treat the statements of an author about their work as somehow canonical to the work, despite those statements never being clarified within the text itself. People refer to this practice as the "Word of God".

Now, for some topics there has historically been a necessity to hang onto the author's extratextual utterances, because they are in reference to things that couldn't make it into the work even if the author wanted. I am referring specifically to queer relationships of any sort, where getting them shown in-text or on-screen has been an uphill battle, with editors and producers and studio heads fighting LGBT representation seemingly every step of the way -- such that the only way for an author to have an actual gay relationship is to imply it in the story and then jump to Twitter to clarify.

It may also be, whether with queer representation or with any other topic not likely to garner Conservative reaction, that there was simply not time enough to get all of the author's desired plot elements into the work. This is especially true with video games, where short production schedules and incomplete programming frequently force the designers to cut certain content.

Still, in a situation without either of those elements in play, it feels weird to have an author claim that this or that thing about the story is canonical, when that element was never written down. It raises the question of why, if it is so important to the text, it isn't in the text - as editors will sometimes say to authors who are explaining a passage to them out loud. It's some basic writing advice that if you want something to be part of the story, it has to be in the story.

I understand why sometimes such a thing is necessary, but even when it is necessary, it is not a good thing -- especially for stories written amidst the struggle for queer representation in the early 21st century. They above all others will suffer from the relentless march of time, when all but the text itself is lost, and there is no other source of guidance.

I would like you to picture the scene. You are walking in the grim, gritty morning, as the lone wind blows the sand down deserted streets. You kick your way through the rotted remains of a front door, into a house you've already scavenged, hoping to find a little more you missed, for there are slim pickings these days. The stairs creak ominously as you make your way to the remains of the second floor.

There in a hallway you thought unremarkable, you find a door that you had overlooked. The handle falls to pieces as you touch it, and the door swings open. Creeeeeeeaaaaaaak.

And inside, you find -- a little old library, caked in dust. No food. Maybe you could barter these books, though, people need the paper to start fires. Or they might be worth reading. You grab a book off the shelf and blow the dust off the cover. "How to cook for forty humans." Some kind of cookbook. Usesless. You stick it back on the shelf. But what's this one? Some kind of children's story...as you flip through the pages, you are entranced by a tale of witches and wizards, goblins and giants, evil sorcerors and brave heroes. Wow, people really knew how to spin a yarn back then.

By the time you raise your head from your reading, the sun is higher in the sky. It's time to be moving on. You stick the book in your pocket, and wonder about who the author might have been, and how they had the time to write all this, as you make your way out of the house and down the street.

You need a freaking drink. So you make your way to the tavern, and after getting a bottle from the bar, you sit down by the stove, where a man with a long white beard is sitting in a creaky old chair. You've seen him sitting here all the time. He never seems to be anywhere else. You take the book out of your pocket, on the off-chance he'd know something about the time period it was written in.

And he says, "Oh! A story from my youth! I never thought I'd see it again! By the way, did you know that the wise old mentor in the story was actually gay? It never came up in the story, but the author revealed it in a tweet."

And you say, "What the heck is a tweet?"

And he says, "And now that my great secret is revealed...I can finally diiiiiiieee..." And he crumbles to dust in front of you.

So, fat lot of good he ever did, and now you have to figure out the story for yourself. Might as well get reading.