Michael (or Michail) Alexandrovich Bakunin (1814-1879)

A Russian Anarchist (who, oddly enough, was part of the aristocracy) that promoted the idea of "propaganda by deed", or more specifically, revolution through violence and sabotage. While most collectivist or other left-wing revolutionaries were largely pacifistic, either due to creed or simply by a lack of influence, Bakunin preached not only his anarchistic theory, but also instigated revolts in France, Prague, Berlin, and Dresden.

Bakunin was born on May 18, 1814 in Premukhino, Russia, about 40 miles south of Moscow. His father, Alexander, exposed young Bakunin to the ideals of European liberalism and the French Revolution, but this radical education was ended by the Decemberist uprising. Alexander, horrified not only by the uprising but only the effect it would have on the liberals as a whole, became a loyal Czarist, so as to keep him and his family safe from any injustices against the radicals that might ensue. He also sent Bakunin to St. Petersburg to become an artillery officer. The artillery school, however, was quite unlike what Alexander thought it would be. He expected the school to make Bakunin into a loyal subject of the Czar, but it was actually a bastion of liberal thought.

Bakunin quickly became tired with his studies and considered deserting, but he was sent to Poland in 1832 at the age of 18. In Poland, Bakunin's liberal ideas finally made sense in the aftermath of the Polish uprising of 1830. Two years later, Bakunin left the army and began studying philosophy at Moscow. In 1849, Bakunin then went to Berlin to study for a professorship in philosophy. However, due to the turmoil of the period, he was forced to leave for Geneva. Here he first came in contact with German Communists. From 1844 to 1847 Bakunin stayed in Paris, though he was forced to leave after the Russian Ambassador heard about a speech in which he argued for Polish independence. However, he was able to return soon afterwards.

Bakunin made his reputation as a great revolutionary in the revolutions of 1848. He instigated rebellion in at least four cities in France and Germany. Oddly enough, the French government paid for Bakunin's travel. Although everywhere he went he demonstrated his astounding dedication and leadership, he seemed to want the chaos of the period to continue. The revolutions ended in 1848 when Bakunin was arrested after the collapse of the revolt in Dresden. He was then deported back to Russia to be imprisoned by the Czar's forces.

This imprisonment completely destroyed any respect he might have once had for the Czar. He contracted scurvy and lost all of his teeth (which is probably why he didn't smile in any of his pictures), but his family was able to persuade the Czar to cut his life sentence short and banish Bakunin to Siberia in 1857. He was able to escape to Tokyo via ship, from whence he came to San Francisco. By 1862 Bakunin was in London, where many of the most radical groups had made their homes. Of particular interest was his founding of the International Brotherhood of Revolutionary Socialists, whose goal was to spread propaganda in support of revolution through direct action (i.e. violence). He would at one point in time be part of the famous International Working Man's Association but would be kicked out due to his opposition to Marx.

Throughout his life, Bakunin had not only written many works that called for the elimination of not only private property, but also of the State; he had effectively rallied together many of the radicals of central Europe to revolt against the State. His impact on anarchistic thought is probably equal to that of Che Guevara's impact on revolutionary thought.