A superhero created by George Perez and Marv Wolfman and published by DC Comics. Raven first appeared in DC Comics Presents #26 in October 1980.

Raven is the daughter of Arella, a human woman, and Trigon, an extra-dimensional demon. Arella became caught up in a cult who worshipped Trigon, who is called Trigon the Terrible. Arella was made his bride and became pregnant by him. Arella became despondent, believing that the child she carried would be some type of inhuman monster. Deciding death would be better than allowing the child to live, Arella contemplated suicide.

However, before she could carry out her own death and that of her unborn child, Arella was taken to Azarath, another dimension, where a peaceful group of humans had gone to live. When her daughter was born, Arella called her Raven and she was raised by the poeple of Azarath. They taught this daughter of Trigon to suppress her emotions, fearing that they would release her to her father's influence. They also taught her to heal others by absorbing their injuries into herself. She was also capable of releasing her soul from her body for a time.

Believing that Trigon would attack Earth, Raven returned to her home and tried to gain aid from the heroes of earth. The members of the Justice League of America refused to help her, so Raven turned to the members of the original Teen Titans for help. Robin, Wonder Girl, & Kid Flash along with Changeling, Cyborg, and Starfire joined Raven in battling her father. The group were able to turn Trigon back and trap him in his own dimension.

The group continued to adventure together, with Raven becoming an active member of the group. Eventually, Trigon's influence on Raven began to grow and he corrupted her. He came to Earth and with his daughter's help, began to overtake the world. Guided by the souls of Azarath, the Titan Lilth and Raven's mother Arella were able to cleanse Raven's body of the influence of her father. The souls of Azarath were then able to use Raven's body to attack Trigon, cleansing him of evil, by taking their corruption upon himself. The battle ended with both Trigon and Raven disappearing.

Months later, Raven reappeared, having lost her memory for a time. She resurfaced in the hands of the Titan's villain, Brother Blood. Brother Blood and his henchmen used Raven's powers to elicite loyalty from his followers. Raven eventually rebelled against Blood and helped the remaining Titans defeat him.

Unbeknownst to the Titans, the souls of Azarath had been corrupted during their battle with Trigon. They gained control over Joe Wilson, the Titan known as Jericho. Using Wilson's ability to possess people, the souls of Azarath began to harry the Titans in the guise of the Wildebeests.

Eventually, the Titans were all hunted down and captured to serve as vessels for the souls of Azarath to use. Wilson was killed destroying the body the souls were using. They possessed Raven and used her body which was destroyed by her mother Arella and the Titan Danny Chase, who were both killed in the ensuing battle.

Raven's soul which was no longer hindered by her body returned, having been completely corrupted by her father's nature. She attacked the Titans, attempting to implant what she believed to be children of Trigon in the Titans. In fact, what she believed to be children of Trigon, were in fact, parts of Trigon that would eventually reform to resurrect Trigon. The evil part of her soul and the resurrected Trigon were opposed by the Titans and the pure part of Raven's soul which had been implanted inside her teammate Starfire. Trigon and her evil soul were destroyed, leaving her pure soul free to explore the universe.