American bluesman (1915-1983). Real name: McKinley Morganfield. He was born in Rolling Fork, Mississippi, but his mother died when he was just three, so he was raised by his grandmother, Della Grant, in Clarksdale, Mississippi. Mrs. Grant gave him his nickname because as a child, he loved to play in the mud of a nearby creek. Waters taught himself to play harmonica as a child before learning guitar at the age of 17. His early influences included Robert Johnson (of course) and Son House.

Waters was first recorded in 1941, when Alan Lomax, a Library of Congress archivist with an ear for talent, heard him when researching folk music in the Deep South.

He moved from Mississippi to Chicago in 1943, where he broke away from the acoustic country blues style by taking up electric guitar and slide guitar, which revolutionized American blues. Acoustic blues was still beloved, but electric blues had power. Waters formed a blues band which included pianist Otis Spann, harmonica whiz Little Walter, bassist/songwriter Willie Dixon, and guitar virtuoso Jimmy Rogers.

Waters' hits included "Blow Wind Blow," "Trouble No More," "Got My Mojo Workin'," "Rock Me," "Rollin' and Tumblin'," "I'm Ready," and "Hoochie Coochie Man" -- possibly the most recognizable blues song in existence. His music helped popularize Chicago blues, and he is considered one of the most influential artists contributing to the development of rock and roll. You think it's just coincidence that the Rolling Stones have the same name as one of Muddy's biggest hits?