A racing game by Sega for the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis. This isn't really an edge of your seat excitement thing like Ridge Racer. It's more the sort of game you could play to relax. You roll along the road to some pleasant tunes (Magical Sound Shower rules), cheerfully overtaking everything else on the highway, taking in the beatiful scenery, and never feeling that you don't have control of the car. True, there are some tight corners where you have to put your back into turning, but these are well spaced out, and nothing beats that feeling as you speed down the last few kilometres, knowing that no one can beat you now. The game has quite a few of Sega's tademarks, such as the stereo overtaking sound as you tear past someone else's car; and you can clearly see where many of the ideas used in later Sega racers came from. The only critisism I would make is that the lack of engine sound makes it difficult to know when to change gears. Dispite the games five endings, it'll probably take no more than a few days to complete, but even then, I'd say that it's worth ten quid of anyone's money.

Also available for PC Engine, Sega Master System, and Sega Saturn. (Also numerous 8-bit computers.)

See also, World Grand Prix (SMS), Super Monaco GP, Outrunners, Virtua Racing, and Sega Rally. Don't see Turbo Outrun (MD).