Not to denigrate your personal experience with Yer Blues, but I believe you are wrong. I think that Yer Blues is not a serious song. It is a satire. A satire of the then dominate British Blues Explosion. That's part of the reason the lyrics are so simple and repetitive, to mimic the standard blues tune. Most people easily recognized that Back in the USSR is a satire of the Beach Boys because the lyrics are so obviously satirical, but if you were to just listen to the music it sounds like an honest piece of West Coast Pop. Likewise, the music of Yer Blues (while a bit psychedelic a la Cream) is a straight up blues rendition; however, the lyrics are so un-beatlesesque that one is led to question whether or not it is a satire.

For an example of a similar satire, check out Russian Poetry of the early 19th Century. In this time, Poets were forbidden to criticized the government openly so they did so covertly. At that time, Poetry was classified into several distinct forms with well known conventions: Odes, Idylls etc. So a Poet would title a poem an Ode, write stanzas praising the government, but instead of writing in the standard meter of an Ode (in english, iambic) he'd write in a different meter. There is not a direct connection between Yer Blues and these poets, but you can see the similarities.

Of course, I did not personally know John Lennon, so I cannot say for sure that Yer Blues is a satire; however, I have heard this position advanced several times before. For example, All Music Guide writes of The White Album:
"Never before had a rock record been so self-reflective, or so ironic; the Beach Boys send-up "Back in the USSR" and the British blooze parody "Yer Blues" are delivered straight-faced, so it's never clear if these are affectionate tributes or wicked satires."