Citius. Altius. Fortius.

It is the inspiration of the Olympic Games that drives people not only to compete but to improve, and to bring lasting spiritual and moral benefits to the athlete and inspiration to those lucky enough to witness the athletic dedication.
- Herb Elliott

The Olympic Games are generally regarded as the pinnacle of athletic competition throughout the world. Held every 2 years, the games alternate between the Olympic Summer Games, and the Olympic Winter Games, with the summer games being held in years divisible by 4, and the winter games in the even years between them.

Organized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the games generally last a little over two weeks, with time for the hundreds of events in the wide variety of sports played at the games.

The games are the 2nd most watched event in the world, with around the clock coverage on television, to a boatload of coverage in other forms of media. And trust me, it'd have to be a pretty big boat.

The city / country chosen to host the games is chosen years in advance, to give adequate time for the immense amount of preparation required to put on an event of this magnitude. The thousands of visitors to the games will spend millions of dollars at local hotels, restaurants, shops and what have you. Not only that, but the lasting benefits to tourism that such world wide exposure will bring, and the top grade sports facilities stick around too. Not to mention just how cool it is to host such world class athletes at the peak of their performance. To have the eyes of the world on you, if only for a couple weeks.

In case you hadn't figured it out by now, it's a very big event, which a lot of people take very seriously. To win a medal at the Olympic Games is for many athletes, the highest honour that they could possibly receive.

At the Olympic games, events in the following sports are held.

Summer sports:

Aquatics       Archery        Athletics       Badminton
Baseball       Basketball     Boxing          Canoe / Kayak
Cycling        Equestrian     Fencing         Football
Gymnastics     Handball       Field Hockey    Judo
Pentathlon     Rowing         Sailing         Shooting
Softball       Table Tennis   Taekwondo       Tennis
Triathlon      Volleyball     Weightlifting   Wrestling

Winter sports:

Biathlon       Bobsleigh      Curling         Ice Hockey
Luge           Skating        Skiing

The origin of the Olympic Games stretches back to Ancient Greece, where as a part of a religious festival honouring the god Zeus, there were games held every 4 years, in the town of Olympia. This occasion was so important, that during the time that the games were on, there was a cessation of all wars in Greece for the duration of the games. There are some who are trying to reenact this tradition worldwide today. The Olympic Games were also much shorter during this time, being only a 1 day affair when they were first started, up to 5 days.

The first games were held in 776 B.C.E., and originally the only event held was a 600 foot dash. Over time, more events were added to the games. By the end of the 5th century B.C.E, the following events were held: Chariot Racing, and Horse Racing, Pentathlon, Wrestling, Boxing. Jumping, Discus, Javelin, and the Pancration, whatever that is.

Any free male citizen of Greece was eligible to enter the events, and these athletes generally competed naked. Women, on the other hand, where not allowed to enter the games, and only maidens were permitted to watch the events, the penalty for any married woman entering the Sanctuary of Zeus to watch the events being death. No one, on the other hand, is trying to reinstate this tradition.

The original Olympic Games were held for 12 centuries, until 393 C.E., when Theodosios I issued a decree banning all idol worshiping, which included the Sanctuary of Zeus at Olympia.


The modern Olympic Games were started up again in 1896, due largely to the efforts of a frenchman by the name of Pierre De Coubertin. The games were opened by His Majesty King George I. 241 men from fourteen different countries participated in 43 events, and the winners were awarded a silver medal and a crown of olive branches.

Since then, there have been many changes made to the games, most notably a great deal of events added to the games, and a lot more people participating, as well as splitting the games up into both summer and winter events. The 2000 Syndey Summer games had over 10,000 athletes participating from 199 countries throughout the world, in 300 events. The 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Games had 2,399 athletes from 77 countries participating in 78 events.

In addition to having events added to the program, the following events that have been dropped from the Olympic Games: Cricket, Croquet, Golf, Jeu De Paume, Lacrosse, Pelote Basque, Polo, Power Boating, Rackets, Rink-hockey, Roque, Rugby, Tug of War, and Water Skiing.

No games were held in 1916, due to World War I being a bit more important. The same goes for 1940 and 1944, and World War II. These are the only games that have been canceled outright due to war, however during the Cold War, the United States led a boycott of several countries for the 1980 Moscow Summer Games, and the Soviet Union did the same thing for the 1984 Los Angeles Summer Games.

In 1920, the tradition of the Olympic Oath was instituted, which all athletes must swear saying that they will play fair. Also introduced was the Olympic Flag, designed by Pierre De Coubertin. The flag is simple, 5 interlocking rings, of blue, yellow, black, green and red, on a white background. These colours were chosen because at least one of these colours is present in every country that participated in the games at that time.

We swear that we will take part in these Olympic Games in the true spirit of sportsmanship, and that we will respect and abide by the rules that govern them, for the glory of sport and the honor of our country.

In 1924, the International Olympic Committee held International Sports Week in 1924, in Chamonix, France. It was a success, and the tradition was continued, with these games being retroactively named the first Winter Olympic Games. At these games, the Canadian hockey team won all 5 of it's matches, outscoring their competition 110 to 3. Ouch. It originally ran in the same years as the Summer Olympic Games, but in 1994, they began running the Winter Games on even years between the summer games.

1928 was the first year that they instituted the tradition of the lighting of the Olympic Flame. The flame is lit at the altar of the Temple of Hera in Olympia by the high priestess, who then hands a torch lit from this flame to a runner. The flame is then carried, by foot if at all possible, to the city hosting the Olympic Games, where at the opening ceremonies, a flame is lit for the duration of the games.

In 1960, the first Paralympic games were held in Rome, for competition between athletes with significant physical disabilities. Despite these disabilities, these men and women are still awesome athletes, and I have no doubt in my mind that each of them could kick my ass.

1972 saw a tragic event happen at the Munich Summer Games, when on September 5, members of a Palestinian terrorist group broke into the Olympic Village housing the athletes, and killed 11 Israeli athletes. The games were halted, but only for a mere day before they resumed. All but one of the terrorists involved have since got what's coming to them.


The games were originally open to amateur athletes only, with no one who played sports for a living allowed to enter. There were some ways to get around this, such as the Soviet hockey team consisting of people who served in the military. It just so happened that their only duties were playing hockey.

Recently, however, it has opened up somewhat. The IOC now leaves the decision to allow professional athletes to play in the Olympics up to the international organization that regulates that particular sport. This explains why Michael Jordan was able to play for the United States in basketball in 1992, but Alex Rodriguez can't go to Athens to play baseball.

In order to be played at the games, a sport has to be administered by an international organization that complies with not only the Olympic Charter, but also with the IOC's stringent performance enhancing drug restrictions.

That having been said, these organizations sometimes don't catch all offenders, or perhaps some of them just waited until just before the games to take the drugs. Drug Tests are administered right after the completion of any event, and in the case that whoever won an event tested positive for any of the drugs that are on the list, they are stripped of their medal, and that medal is awarded to whichever athlete was right below them in the standings.

That's for individual events, I'm not quite sure how it works for team events. It would really suck to be the one guy who lost your entire team a gold medal. Anyways, the most famous event of this type was at the 1988 Seoul Summer Olympics, when the winner of the men's 100m sprint, the event which traditionally determines the "fastest man in the world", Canadian Ben Johnson was disqualified for drug use.


Putting on the Olympic Games is a bloody expensive affair. Usually, a great deal of the money required will come from the government of the country hosting the games, and another chunk will come from corporations willing to sponsor the games. For example, Coca-Cola paid $60 million USD to be one of the main sponsors of the Athens 2004 Summer Games. In exchange for that, not only will Coca-Cola products be the only drinks available at the games, but spectators at the events will not be allowed to enter the events with Pepsi products, unless the labels have been removed, nor will they be allowed in wearing t-shirts with Pepsi logos. Officials say that this is to prevent what they call Ambush Marketing, where companies try to get free advertising by sneaking products onto camera by spectators in the background.

And there's always NBC, which had obtained exclusive broadcast rights to the Olympic games within the United States, up to the 2008 games. They obtained these rights by paying through the teeth, with the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Games costing them $545 million USD. From this, they made $740 million USD in ad revenue.

There are some people who may have a problem with the increasing commercialism in the games, but let's face it, events of this magnitude will cost a *lot* of money to put on, and there's very few governments that would be willing to front the bill on their own.


In the end, the Olympics boils down to one thing. The noble competition between athletes at the top of their field. Friendly competition between nations.

There are very few things in the world that could compare to standing on the medal podium, getting that gold around your neck, watching your country's flag wave as they play your national anthem. To be recognized by the world as the top in your field doesn't happen to many people. The only other thing I can compare it to would be the Nobel Prize.



Sources:
en.thinkexist.com/keyword/olympic_games/3.html
www.hol.gr/greece/olympic.htm
www.culture.gr/2/21/211/21107a/og/games.html
www.museum.upenn.edu/new/olympics/olympicintro.shtml
www.athens2004.com
www.olympic.org
www.medialifemagazine.com/news2002/feb02/feb25/2_tues/news1tuesday.html
Calgary Herald, August 8, 2004