Regarding canis lupus, the grey wolf, I can only say one thing: Wolves rule. That is all. I regrettably can't say much more. They just do. =)

This was my Subjective Writeup of the Day. Now, to make an objective writeup...


I first heard of this game through MikroBitti and thought "wow, finally they made a game that really interests me." Oh yes. Then I saw a review, with screenshots, in some British PC mag. Seventy-something percent. Grr. (I supposed I could add +10% just for sheer interest on the subject =) And, when I saw the game in stores, I immediately got it.
And when I found the CD-ROM version in bargain bins, I got it too. (This was in the age when a floppy version took 17 megs of expensive disk space and CD-ROM version one, and had the red book CD audio soundtrack.)

I fist installed the game on my father's 486SX laptop. The thing had a grayscale VGA display. I thought the game was pretty damn good on that, already, but it had one serious drawback: A grey wolf looking for a grey rabbit in the wintery grey forest... Good hunting!!!

Now, what is Wolf? It is, quite simply, a simulation of wolf's life, produced in 1995 by Sancruary woods (nowadays called Theatrix). It's sort of a roleplaying/action game. The game features several different wolves (some based on wolves in Wolf Haven), and you took the role of one of them. You had your own position in the pack, and had to deal with that. (Being the Alpha wasn't always easy.) It simulated all sorts of lupine things: hunting everything from small to large prey, feeding the pack, feeding the cubs, getting more cubs, dealing with other wolf packs, dealing with your position in the pack, and RUNNING when you saw or heard or smelled humans... There were both missions ("Kill a deer", "Become the alpha", "survive for a period", etc) and "free-form" simulation mode.

It's certainly an unique game, and even when it's sort of mundane in concept (hey, a "real life" simulation, whee, thrilling, Daily Routines), it's definitely an interesting game!

Graphics are pretty good for that day and age, and music is absolutely marvellous. Good sound samples, too. =) Also, nice animations, especially the longer animations in the CD-ROM version (the "kissing wolves" one was pretty cuuuute =) The game also had an "encyclopedia" about wolves.

In case you don't have a copy and fail to find one, the game is available from The Underdogs (rated a Top Dog and 9.35/10 at the moment... I just find the "Top Dog" rating a bit funny in the context of the content of the game =)