Edible tamarind is the flesh of the seed pods of trees which grow all around South and Southeast Asia and in the Carribean Islands (and probably in other tropical locales as well). In the spring in Toronto you can buy the actual light yellowish brown pods, which can be up to a foot long. The pods contain dark brown flesh and large black seeds. The flesh is sour but fruity and is used to make drinks, candies, and sauces.

If you've been to Bangkok, Thailand, you may have seen tamarind trees. Next to the gorgeous Grand Palace is a large grassy area called Sanam Luang, a favourite locale for kite fighting. The sanam (loosely: commons, fairgrounds) is surrounded by tall lacy trees which give welcome shade from the beating Bangkok sun: these are tamarind trees. In spite of the roaring buses which circle the sanam and make gaining access to it something of a hard-won victory, it is very pleasant to sit under the trees and watch people flying kites over the centre of the park.

The fresh pods are hard to deal with, but many Asian groceries as well as better-equipped supermarkets sell tamarind in several other forms.

Tamarind pressed into blocks is most easily available in my experience. Look for blocks that are slightly soft; this indicates that they're not too old. In this form tamarind contains some fibres and seeds and must be soaked and strained.

Here's what to do:

  • Soak tamarind in warm water. To obtain about 1/2 cup (120 ml) tamarind liquid, measure 1/3 cup (80 ml) warm water into a 1 cup (240 ml) measuring cup. Add tamarind till the level reaches 2/3 cup (160 ml) (ie add 1/3 cup (80 ml) tamarind).
  • Mash with a fork and let sit for 5 minutes or so; repeat 3 or 4 times.
  • Strain by pressing the tamarind mass through a fine sieve into a small bowl, being sure to scrape the goop off the bottom of the sieve.

This is a fair bit of work, and you might be tempted to do a whole bunch at once and keep it in the fridge. Don't. It will ferment. You can probably freeze it, but I can't say for sure as I've never tried it. If you have, let me know.

Helpful household hint: The goop left in the sieve is acidic, and if you smear it on bronze will remove the tarnish.

Tamarind in jars or tubes can be found in many Asian markets. The consistency ranges from ketchup-like to tomato paste; the above method will yield tamarind in the former, ketchup-y range. Thin with water as necessary to reach this most usual consistency for Thai cooking, in particular for the perennial favourites pad thai and tom yam soup.

You may find jars of something labelled "tamarind paste for soup" or some such, which is not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to something which contains only tamarind and possibly also water. That other stuff for soup is actually nam prik phao, an amazing sauce used for tom yam and other things, and you are better off, in my opinion, making it yourself. Check out the recipe here. And don't substitute ketchup for tamarind when you're making pad thai, unless you really like orange sweet messes. Thanks.