The biggest misconception about Mardi Gras in New Orleans is that it is all about tits and beer. The flashing is a very small part of Mardi Gras, but gets the most attention nationally. On the majority, Mardi Gras is a good family atmosphere. During Mardi Gras crime rates drop and people come together to watch the parades.

The parades are each made up of Krewes. Krewes are usually selective clubs in which membership fees are quite expensive, and the members get the privilege of riding on a float in a parade. Krewes usually try to get a celebrity to be the captain of their parade. Some examples are Harry Connick Jr. Nicolas Cage, Jay Leno, etc...

Families usually stake out spots on parade route early in the day, and set up ladders with special seats on top for children to sit in so they can catch beads being thrown from the floats easily. A sea of ladders lining all the way down St. Charles Avenue is a sight to behold.

You will rarely see anyone flashing on a parade route. But you will see lots of vendors walking down selling glow necklaces and other trinkets, Snap Pops being the favorite of many kids. Mardi Gras is, on the most part, a safe and fun environment, as long as you stay away from Bourbon Street.