Agoraphobia is an oft-misunderstood condition. Pretty much everthing I've read about it has been either overly clinical or wrapped up in platitudes that only fellow panic disorder sufferers can understand that make it sound more benign than it actually is.

I am an agoraphobic. I didn't ask to be one, I am not depressed, I am in fact a fairly confident person. My intellect is reasonable and my ambition strong. By agreeing to pay my taxes and obey (most of) the law, I am by most standards a model citizen. The kind of person you could introduce your parents to.

Yet as I stare out of the patio doors, I'm reminded of the person I am for most of the outside world. In here I am my own person; oustide I'm a nervous wreck. If I'm not on the move constantly I panic, and I mean constantly. Stopping to tie my shoes - the anxiety swells. Gotta pay for that book you've been after - expect to panic in the queue.

The problem is being outside feels so goddamn surreal. Being at home I feel normal for the most part. I recognise these few rooms I call my own. Yet when I step outside and lock the door behind me I'm struck by an overwhelming sense of unfamiliarity - like my entire life has turned into the lizard fuck scene from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't take long for this to cause a panic.

I know it's all irrational. My mind knows this, it knew it before I'd developed this disorder and it'll know it after it's gone. There is nothing to fear. Of course at home in my academic ivory tower I understand that panic attacks are harmless. My initial strategy was to face up to my fear and expose myself to the panic attacks. Yet when you are faced with three panic attacks per day, it's not long before you are drawn to your house as the only place you can feel safe. Conditioning is more powerful than the rational mind and human beings are imperfectly evolved.

A lot of people even wonder what a panic attack actually is. What makes it so scary? What even makes it scary enough to avoid leaving your own house? I can only talk from my own experience of course, but a panic attack for me starts off with a sudden intensity. Suddenly, you feel hot and dread sweeps over your entire body. Your surroundings feel surreal and thoughts immediately turn to how you could possibly get out of this place if you needed to. If your current situation doesn't allow for an easy escape, your thoughts turn to how long you have until you can be at your 'safe place' again. Ten, perhaps twenty minutes? Perhaps until the evening? Perhaps until tomorrow evening? The longer the time, the worse the panic. Your chest tenses up and your breathing becomes short and frequent. Then you wonder - could the panic cause any severe physical problems? After all, a cardiac arrest can be cause by shock, can't it? "Oh Christ, don't think about that" you tell yourself and then you look around and wonder if the people around you can see that you're acting slightly strangely at least. Does your body language give it all away? Who knows, who cares, let's just get the hell out of here and back home as quick as possible. NOW.

You can imagine that having this happen every time you go outside makes you think that doing so might not be such a great idea.