Macromedia Flash Player
"A vector graphic animation technology that's bandwidth friendly and browser-independent...If it's on the Web and it's moving (incessantly), it is probably a design using Flash"

Quit it already
While Macromedia Flash animation maybe necessary to navigate or even useful for some web users and web sites, its abuse in onsite advertising has left others feeling increasingly poked without provocation. On many NE Asian sites it has the looping demented tempo of a stuttering epileptic berserker2. Suppressing pop-ups and banner ads was easy but to stop Flash advertising it is a little harder.

One way is to remove the plug in itself that make play possible. For those that find Flash! repeatedly enabled on their browser and can't find out how to remove it, i.e it doesn't always appear in add/remove programs in Windows),- there is a downloadable uninstaller1 on the macromedia site that seems to work with any version.

The other, more immediate alternative, to stop endlessly repeating blipverts is to right click on the offending animation and select 'back', on the menu, this seems to to make the animation ignorably static, at least until the page is refreshed.

1At the time of writing uninstaller is found at
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/remove_player.htm.

2Look at any selection of Korean web portals for examples.