A very interesting person. Grew up in a trailer park with his mother. Heroin addict since age fourteen: he is said to have started it to escape stomach pains for which there was no cure at the time. At age eighteen he got arrested for spray painting "HOMOSEXUAL SEX RULES" on other people's cars, I personally find that hilarious.

He hated his success, this was the reason he killed himself (although some paranoid folk, including me, will tell you it's murder) and was shown in many interviews and documented in songs such as In Bloom and Radio Friendly Unit Shifter. The inside cover of his Nevermind CD has a photo of him giving the finger at the unsuspecting consumer. This guy would definitely love Napster if he were alive to see it; he's said to have gotten in various fights with record industry execs.

In early 1994, months before his death, he tried to quit heroin, but eventually relapsed and got himself in a coma in overdose.

The "story" of how he killed himself is weird: in late March of 1994, he threatened to kill himself, so Courtney Love sent him to a mental institution. He escaped, and by early April, made it up to Seattle (from California) where he was found dead in his home. Of course, the theory (and there is overwhelming evidence) is that he was murdered by Courtney Love: see my writeup in Kurt and Courtney.

You can tell he was really getting tired of his career by In Utero. It's all full of angst and weird screaming. Still sounded great though.

Oh, and did I mention he had bipolar disorder?