Some time ago, there was another writeup that claimed that the Christian Bible was responsible for the mistreatment of minorities, in particular homosexuals, slavery, the crusades, and many other injusticies throughout history.
To accuse one religion's holy works for the ills of society is quite unfair to those works. If it was the case that the interpretation of the Bible was the cause of society's repression of some groups then it should be a simple matter to move to another culture with a different religion to free one's self from the repression. Judaism? Islam? Buddhism? Hindu? Is it true that people are less oppressed under other religions and cultures?

The age of the works should not be an issue. Yes, they were written in a different time, and that should be acknowledged. Does that make them less applicable today? Greek mythology and philosophy dates back before the new testament. There are lessons to be learned from there despite its age. In ancient Greek society, homosexuality was very accepted.

Every dominant religion has, at one time or another, used its power to advocate some form of slavery - be it economic, military, serfdom, or a caste system. With changing times, these systems are slowly disappearing in the realization that all people are equal. The religious works do not change - the interpretations and cultures do. It takes time and persistence to do so though.

Within Christianity, there are a number of interpretations of the same words: Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Lutheran, Methodist, Anglican, Baptist, and countless others. To prove that the Bible oppresses gays will come as a startling revelation to the Gateway Monastery of Los Altos which is described as a traditional monastery for gay men practicing meditation and contemplative prayer. I am certain that Martin Luther King, Jr. would argue the Bible's interpretation of slavery and civil rights.

As to marriage, that is a question of society and what is acceptable within it. With society as it is today, maybe we need a new definition of partnership that does not specify the gender of the people? Or maybe even the number? That is a matter of society. Look back on history and see that for most of the time, marriage was an arranged thing that did not deal with love (eros) but rather love (agape). Non arranged marriages in the west is a relatively new twist on its definition and it may be necessary for the legal and cultural systems to catch up with this realization.

Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
--1 Corinthians 7:1