Writeup does not mean reply; I'll keep this as independent as I can.

School kids are forced to stand and recite a whole bunch of things during the course of their education, including the Preamble to the Constitution, quotes from Shakespearean plays, multiplication tables, and their own bad poetry. That's part of being a minor. But outside of that inconvenient reality, nobody is forcing you to say the Pledge. Really. If it really bothers you all that much, just don't stand up during it and avoid meeting the glares you'll get from others. I promise the Thought Police won't come and yank you out of your seat and hold your hand over your heart for you, and then threaten to imprison your parents if you complain.

As patriotic acts go, the Pledge is pretty minor compared to the other things you're "forced" to do on behalf of your country. National holidays celebrated annually close down government offices, banks and business for entire days and often lock you out of what would be an otherwise productive day at work. Income taxes are enforced by law to support your hard-working government representatives; ignore those for long enough and you actually will get thrown in court or prison.

But on the bright side, there are nations and governments on this planet where active patriotism actually is enforced. Service in the German or Israeli military is mandatory for all male citizens of a certain age, regardless of circumstances; at least in the U.S.A. you have to declare a draft first. In Communist China no one points a gun to your head if you're asked to make a public statement on your opinions of the government, but you can be sure they'll bring guns around later if they don't like what you say. In England, however the locals may feel about her, the political authority of a Queen whom not one citizen had a chance to elect is uncomfortable at best to most Westerners. Compared to these examples of "forced patriotism," sending kids to the principal for not standing during the Pledge is hardly worth complaining about.

If it's really that intolerable to your moral code, then just grin and bear it. Americans get a pretty good value for their tax dollars, all things considered: police and fire departments, free basic schooling, a capitalist economy to make a living in, the right to write to and vote for your Congressperson, voluntary Armed Forces to protect you and yours from invasion, and the peace of mind that comes from having an FDA safeguarding your breakfast. You can even run for office and improve the system yourself. How great is that?